Monday, January 09, 2012

National Guardsman thwarts Chicago transit robbery; 3 teens arrested: "Three teens who attempted to rob a judo instructor with a replica gun at a CTA station got more than they bargained for, police say. It wasn’t the judo teacher who taught them a lesson, authorities say, but an Army National Guardsman armed with a real gun. Simpson was on his way to his day job as a security guard around 6:30 p.m. and was wearing his World Security Agency uniform when the 28-year-old victim approached him and described the three attackers who’d just unsuccessfully tried to snatch his iPhone at gunpoint, Simpson and the victim both said. Within seconds, Simpson had chased down and cuffed two 16-year-old boys to each other, he said. Then he squared off against a 17-year-old who pulled out what “looked like a real .22 pistol,” he said. As Simpson grabbed his own gun, the 17-year-old — identified in court Sunday by prosecutors as Donte Jackson — shouted “please don’t shoot, it’s not real!” Simpson said. The 17-year-old pulled the trigger on the fake gun, revealing a flame, he said. “It was a lighter, but I told him, ‘You shouldn’t have done that, I could have shot you.’”


VA: Police ID suspect killed at Roger's Sports Pub: "Police say Raymond Davis, 22, of Norfolk, and two other men tried to rob Rogers Sport's Pub in Chesapeake Friday Night. Witnesses told WAVY.com one of the patrons in the bar shot and killed Davis during the attempted robbery. It's the same story detectives told his grandmother Sheila Davis. "The man went outside and came back in with his gun and shot him down," said Davis. "It's like shooting a dog down. He is a human being." Davis says her grandson got mixed up with the wrong crowd. While she doesn't condone his behavior, she wants the public to respect her family in this time of grief. "I'm not trying to sweet-coat nothing," said Davis. "He went in there to rob the place, but eventually he got killed is the result of it." Witnesses say Davis and two other men entered the bar armed, wearing masks, and demanding money. Police won't say if the person who shot Davis could possibly face charges. They are still looking for the two other suspects who fled" [Another report here]


AL: Intruder shot: "He says a male suspect rang his doorbell and didn't expect anyone to be at home. "I proceeded to my doorbell. Once I got to the door I didn't see anybody. During that time, I looked over through the kitchen area, to my right, and I seen somebody trying to pry my window open. At the time, I seen two suspects with something in their hands trying to pry my window open. I yelled at them and as I yelled at them, they didn't seem to hear me. I proceeded back down the hall. I got my weapon and came back up and they still was prying and that's when I shot," Holloway said. Holloway said the 17-year-old he shot in the back had a gun. He says after the first burglary attempt two years ago he bought a gun to protect his home and family. Police say the suspect who was shot was taken to Baptist South. He suffered non-life threatening injuries. The second robber fled and is not in custody nor has he been identified.

No comments: