Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Interview with Josh Waldron of SilencerCo on the HPA



The Hearing Protection Act (HPA) is the main bill now in the Congress to remove gun mufflers (silencers/suppressors/moderators) from the National Firearms Act.  The HPA is getting a lot of attention from the public, Congress and the media.  It has been the in the top ten of the bills viewed at the Congressional web site for many weeks.  For a while, both the 2015 version and the 2017 version, which are identically worded, were both in the top ten.

Josh Waldron, CEO of SilencerCo, was instrumental in getting the bill introduced into Congress.  He is one of the founders of the American Suppressor Association, the ASA.

At the shot show this year, I was able to interview Josh Waldron, CEO of SilencerCo.

Everyone is asking about the HPA.  What are your thoughts about it?

"HPA is a very important piece of legislation for us. It would really change the industry. It would do a lot for our company. But right now, we have to focus on getting the momentum, getting it through committee.  We have to get 60 votes in the Senate.

We have to really activate the grass roots, we have to get the letters in.  We have a lot to do.

At the end of the day, we are not going to make it in the first 100 day agenda. We are probably not going to make it in the first six months.

I don't want people to lose hope. I think it is going to happen, but it is going to take a lot of heavy lifting, and we really need peoples support."

You have an invitation to the inauguration of Donald Trump. Do you feel any relationship with President Trump?  Do you think you are operating on the same wavelength? 

I respect the man a lot.  I am a brash person, so is he. I say what is on my mind. I challenge the status quo, so does he.  We have these similarities. The reason I offered my support a long time ago, when it was unpopular to offer my support, was because I believe that he was the only one who was going to get in and make a change.  I really believed that he was the guy who was going to be able to do it.  We are all tired of politics the way they used to be. This is finally the only way we can go in and make legitimate change and bring something  back to some base level of what we think America should be.

 
©2017 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice and link are included.

Gun Watch



6 comments:

SpectreRider said...

I've already contacted both of my Senators. I told each of them how a single days shooting (without earplugs) at the age of twelve has given my severe lifelong Tinnitus. I truly suffer this constant ringing. The HPA is not misnamed. Even one unsuppressed shot caused damage.

Have you ever forgotten to put your ears back on or hunted without plugs in? Suppressors are safety devices and safety devices should not but difficult to obtain.

Anonymous said...

TWICE I have forgotten to put my ears on, once at the shooting range with my 30-06 and once in my backyard range under the canopy with my 9mm. Horrible ringing for months. Hearing in my left ear is shot(no pun intended). Almost everything sounds a bit muffled now. Which is why I did 2 Form 1s for suppressors for my 5.56 and 300BLK ARs. No problem shooting without ears now, especially with subsonic ammo.

Anonymous said...

I have been fighting with the VA since Vietnam claiming a hearing lost that VA has documented and still claims is not service connected. I had 155mm and 175mm cannons firing directly over my head for four continuous hours and I could not wear hearing protection and do my job. each time they fired, the vibration would knock one of my systems off line and I had to listen for the alarms to identify which system went off the air and reset it. when the Oasis fire base was over run My primary antenna took the first hit the first B-40 rocket took out all my systems when the antenna was destroyed. Nine medevac choppers were shot down along with five gun ships. three days of fighting and 3500 casualties. EVAC was ordered and snoopy cleaned up. three of them made three passes. anyone exposed to that much noise is going to have a service connected hearing loss.

Anonymous said...

Trump campaigned on second amendment issues and that of being a constitutionalist. It has been said he is a concealed carrier. these issues will prove or disprove both of his claims. I believe a real constitutionalist would go after all of the unconstitutional laws an acts passed for political reasons. Shall not be infringed is all inclusive. A real constitutionalist understands that the federal constitution is superior to all state and territorial constitutions. The tenth amendment clearly separates the state authority from federal authority and the ATF needs to be put in its place or dissolved. declare the 1934NFA and the 1968 and 1986 NFAs unconstitutional and be done with the unconstitutional infringements. then all of the state gun laws would be null and void. Picking out the silencers portion of the 1934 NFA is not enough.

Anonymous said...

Search for tinnitus relief on the internet.

Anonymous said...

I will never own a hammerless pistol or revolver gun. I do not like the straight finger technique as a safety issue. And I never use the two handed grip. for safety I keep my thumb on the hammer and my finger on the trigger. switching from straight finger takes reaction time and slows your firing time. thumb on the hammer is simply sliding your thumb off the hammer and completing your grip more natural of a move than getting your finger into the trigger guard from the straight position.